Thursday, December 30, 2010

Left leg lean.

I spend a lot of time dealing with situations that I really don't have much control to change, or alter. That in itself used to be frustrating. Between how my health has sometimes challenged me, and other things in my life that have cropped up,  I have practiced a lot of relaxation techniques. Relaxation is all in getting the tension out of the mind and or out of the body. Some people drink it all out, until they get over the hangover. Some people drive fast, shoot, a LOT of people drive fast, impatiently, and aggressively. It doesn't seem to help in my opinion. And some people I guess just don't give a fresh cow patty.

I'm pretty fortunate, as I have a foolproof system for relaxing. It is always good, never impatient with me, never turns me down when I need a little quiet time. Oh, I never hear a harsh word even when I am a pure pain. Of course one may think that kind of relaxation is either a lie, or highly illegal. It's neither, and all I can say is that I'm glad I have it. I think everyone would enjoy seeing what works so well, so take a gander:

This is Myrtle. She is a 3 year old boxer. She was given to us because her previous owners didn't really have the time to give her the attention she needed. If you know much about boxers, you know they need to be kept busy, or they need a companion pet. Myrtle gets to play with Gracie, my daughter's and her husband's dog. She is so worn out when Gracie goes home that when she lays down on her bed, she rattles the walls snoring.
Myrtle is our second boxer. Our first boxer and our daughter grew up together. But that is another story for another time. Myrtle is pretty laid back as boxers go, at least around me. I think she brings out the calm that I need. We kind of feed off each other. She seems to stay calm when I am wound up, and I help her to calm down when other people are around. Myrtle exhibits some pretty typical boxer behavior, one of which gives me a pretty good body workout.  All dogs I guess want to be close to their owners, but I think some dogs, boxers for instance, really take the closeness to the extreme.

Each morning during the week I awake at 5:30 am to get ready for work. Myrtle is so habituated to the time, that she comes in the bedroom on my side of the bed within 3 or 4 minutes of the alarm going off. I arise, throw on my slippers and head in the living room where we greet each other. She leans into my left leg looking a lot like a sausage on four legs curved mid- body around me. As a matter of fact, when I am in the yard, on the porch, just about anywhere, she is there, leaning into my left leg.

Myrtle is a great companion, though she shows little concern for what I am doing when she leans in on me. It gets dicey when I am working in the yard, or grilling, or trying to sit in a chair. She responds well to "Back" and "Off" commands. I just need to use them more. This time of year, I get cold very easily, and maybe I overlook her leaning on me, or sitting on my legs. Well, there are worse things, and I still smile when I come home, open the back door and she is there.  That stubby tail a blur, her body doing an imitation of a bent bratwurst, and the shear joy she displays, all just because I walked in the door, or rubbed an ear. 




Myrtle is here, because of my wife. She was contacted by a friend about Myrtle. When she heard what the boxer's name was, she told me she really thought it would be a good idea to have Myrtle. After all, Myrtle was my wife's nickname when she was growing up. It was meant to be.It was love at first sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment