Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What this blog is about, at least when it strikes me.

One of the things I enjoy about Florida is the diversity of environments found from the far reaches of the western panhandle to the islands training south from near Homestead to the last point at Key West. My hope is to see as much of this wonderful state as I can. I won't get into the environmental vs growth argument. There is little I can bring to that argument.
People that actually get out in the hammocks, the wire grass pine lands, or any of the other unique landscapes of Florida are highly outnumbered by those that come to Florida to live inside, play inside, and work inside.


Florida can be a harsh environment, with high humidity, temperatures that are stifling, and during the summer months a lightning wonderland, or hurricane horror.
It is a place to wonder at in the cooler late fall months and the winter. That is the time to see it for what it is.


It is a micro-ism of America, with fall colors in the panhandle, sometimes even a bit of snow. It's central landscape, dotted with tangled arms of mighty live oaks, rivers dark, and rivers blue, ribbons of transportation a millennium before I-75, or I-95 was ever set to a designer's blueprint. In the south, lime-rock floors support an ancient, and very efficient drainage system that is struggling to survive our love affair with La Florida.


This is not an advertisement to come to Florida. It isn't meant to read like a tourist package on the internet. More,it is my appreciation for a place that accepted me from my youth to my middle age. I never once was rejected by the pine flats of southwest Florida, or the black rivers like the Santa Fe, or Wacissa. My life in its way has mirrored what one finds in Florida. That is a wide ranging land with vast regions unpopulated, to the squeezed in to the mile likes of Miami, or Orlando.


It is my home, La Florida.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your description of Florida. I really wish I could be there right at the moment. Your pictures and that set up of the page are gorgeous. You did (and are currently doing) is great. Keep it up, viewers and visits will come in time.

    ReplyDelete